A JV Driver Civil Superintendent is expected demonstrate our core values in all daily activities. Along with living our core values, a Civil Superintendent must also promote these values amongst their employees and teams. A JV Driver Superintendent is also expected to demonstrate our core purpose of “Think Different, Build Better”. A Civil Superintendent is expected to encourage, develop and lead innovations, creating an environment where employees can think different and build better.
The Civil Superintendent both reports to and takes direction from the General Superintendent. The primary responsibility of the Civil Superintendent is to provide overall supervision, coordination and scheduling of construction activities on site.
- Mentors and coaches staff, interprets performance and provides feedback
- Develops and leads their team from a construction and project perspective, through Human Resources practices and objectives that support an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity, and safety
- Follows processes and metrics that support the achievement of the organization's Project Controls goals
- Coordinates with other trades, Safety, Engineering/Planning, HR, LR, Payroll, Project Controls, Contracts and Sub-Contracts, Equipment and the warehouse, both on and off site
- Serves as a knowledgeable resource to the construction/project management team and provides overall company leadership and direction.
- Assists in planning work schedules, determining manpower levels, material quantities, and equipment requirement
- Acts as a liaison with other departments to ensure the project schedule is met
- Monitors contractors, trades performance, progress, and productivity
- Coordinates plans with field engineers to overcome any inconsistencies
- Assist in creating and building of IWP’s (installation Work Packs)
- P6 – Understand and interpretation of the P6 schedule as well as supporting the schedulers with daily updates.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point and Visio
- Advanced knowledge of construction
- Intermediate knowledge of P6 or equivalent
- Base understanding of Project Controls (intermediate level, completed all level 100 PC JVDU courses)
- Advanced understanding of Work Face Planning
- Advanced understanding of quality control process including turnover
- Base understanding of receiving, warehouse functions and material management
- Base understanding of procurement procedures
- Coordinate offsite activities
- Able to coordinate and supervise sub-contractors
- Meetings – Be able to organize a meeting, create an agenda, record action items and set completion dates for action items for specific individuals or groups
- Capable of building a detailed org chart
- Advanced understanding of project infrastructure
- Base understanding of contract documentation and how it pertains to the work scope.
- Capable of capturing and relaying change from the field
Field Supervisors are responsible for the field execution of the Safety Program. They will be trained in their safety responsibilities so they can provide effective leadership. Refer to Section 2.8.1 of the JV Driver Health & Safety Manual for a description of responsibilities.
Minimum of 7 years of job related experience in industrial construction projects include minimum of 2 years as a Trade Superintendent.
A post-secondary education in Construction Management or trade certificate in a related field is preferred. Job related experience may substitute.
The Civil Superintendent will demonstrate some or all of the following DNA characteristics:
- Initiative: a solutions provider, someone who is motivated, resourceful, creative and displays ingenuity.
- Problem Solver: someone that is willing to solve problems themselves and will make decisions within their scope, and trust their own judgment, staying within the core values of our organization.
- Innovative: someone who is original and creative in thinking, displays ingenuity, is visionary and provides additional value to the client and the company.
- Positive Attitude: someone who is friendly, enthusiastic, forward thinking, motivated and engaged.
- Flexibility: being able to adapt to change and increase effectiveness and efficiency both in and out of work.
- Communication: someone who is a proficient listener and can communicate what they are thinking, presents clear expectations and conducts themselves professionally to co-workers and clients.
- Trust: someone that extends trust and in return is trusted by key stakeholders.
- Accountability: someone that accepts responsibility for their own decisions and meets expectations.
- Delegation: surrounds themselves with great people, training and coaching employees and trusting them to make the right decisions.
- Relationship Builder: someone who builds relationships based on trust, mutual respect, diversity, active listening and open communication.
- Confident: believes in their abilities, has a positive attitude, fosters teamwork and has strong interpersonal and active listening skills.
- Coach: desire to educate and develop staff with the tools, knowledge, and opportunities needed to be effective in their commitment to themselves, the company, and their work.
- Influential: works to remove the obstacles that prevent people from performing effectively, therefore opening the door to create a trusting and rewarding environment where people are willing to go that extra mile.
*Recruiters* - Resumes submitted without current/valid vendor agreement will become property of JV Driver Group, Inc. Any recruiting/staffing firm or agency wishing to do business with JV Driver must contact the Human Resources Department (866)391-5816. Recruiting/staffing firms may NOT contact hiring managers directly. Firms that do not honor this request will be removed from consideration.